Not to be confused with Cave Story 3D.
Cave Story on the Nintendo eShop features...
- The original PC version's music.
- Cave Story+ graphics redone in the original's style, with graphics being displayable in stereoscopic 3D.
- The ability to toggle between the Nintendo 3DS's widescreen 5:3 aspect ratio or the classic's 4:3 aspect ratio.
- Two different control schemes; "Flipped" being the default, where Y/A are used to shoot, and B/X are used to jump, or "Classic", the opposite of flipped.
- Various game modes to choose from, including unlockable challenges.
Game Modes for Cave Story on the Nintendo eShop include...
- Story Mode - Follows the same gameplay as the original PC version.
- Curly Story - Similar to the original Cave Story, except Quote and Curly Brace swap places, with Curly being the main character. Some events and dialogue are altered.
- Jukebox - Allows players to listen to the full Cave Story soundtrack.
Challenge mode provides a set of tasks to be completed. A stopwatch runs in the background to keep track of the amount of time it takes to finish a challenge. The difficulty setting used is the one on the most recently played save file.
- Sanctuary Time Attack - Get through the Blood Stained Sanctuary and defeat Ballos as fast as possible.
- Boss Attack - Face off against every boss in the game.
- Wind Fortress - The player has to rescue Curly Brace from the G-CLONE and an army of Curly Clones.
- Nemesis Challenge - The player is given a Nemesis, Map System, and Booster v0.8. The player traverses through three areas: the Underside, where the Booster v2.0 is acquired, the Leeward Side and The Vents, where fans are present. This challenge is unlocked after acquiring the Nemesis.
Cave Story on the Nintendo eShop has received positive reviews, more so than Cave Story 3D. Nintendo Life gave the game a 9/10, saying, "...it's the most complete version of Cave Story yet." Destructoid gave it a 9.5/10, praising its sharp visuals and content. The game currently has a 93 on Metacritic.
|Real World Topics|
|Games||Cave Story • Cave Story+ • Cave Story 3D • Nintendo eShop • WiiWare • Version differences|
|Development||Pixel • Nicalis • Aeon Genesis|